Fosu-Mensah wants to stay at Man United amid injury crisis

Timothy Fosu-Mensah is determined to remain at Manchester United and help the Premier League club through their injury woes.

Jose Mourinho has bemoaned United’s preparations for the 2018-19 season which starts against Leicester City on August 10, with the likes of Chris Smalling, Antonio Valencia, Marcos Rojo, Diogo Dalot, Luke Shaw and Eric Bailly nursing injuries.

The World Cup has also deprived Mourinho of Victor Lindelof, Phil Jones and Ashley Young, and resting stars Paul Pogba, Romelu Lukaku, Jesse Lingard, Marcus Rashford and Marouane Fellaini.

Fosu-Mensah spent last season on loan at Crystal Palace but the versatile 20-year-old Dutchman wants to stay in Manchester.

“Last year, I was at Crystal Palace, I think I improved there and I’ve come back a better player,” said Fosu-Mensah.

“I came back to show that I’ve improved and to show that I’m a better player now. I’ll keep working hard and see what happens.

“I can play right-back, right wing-back, centre-back, in midfield. For me, it’s possible. I’ve played centre-back and right wing-back [on the tour] so for me it’s not a problem. I wouldn’t say in goal — in goal I would be very bad.”

Fosu-Mensah had featured on the club’s pre-season tour of the United States, where Mourinho’s men suffered a 4-1 International Champions Cup loss to Liverpool on Saturday.

The three-time Netherlands international helped form an inexperienced defence alongside Axel Tuanzebe, Matteo Darmian and Bailly in Michigan.

“I have to take it day to day,” Fosu-Mensah said. “I’ll keep working hard and if the manager needs me I’ll be ready.

“The tour has been good. We’ve played against quality opponents. We tried to train how we want to play so I think it has been really good for us.

“I’m focused on my training sessions and on the games. The next game is Real Madrid and we have to focus on that now.

“It’s very nice to play against a good club, against good players. Some of the best in the world. It’s good to have that test and we’re focused on that.”

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

Poulsen excited to work with RB Leipzig-bound Nagelsmann

RB Leipzig star Yussuf Poulsen relishes the opportunity to work with Julian Nagelsmann when the Hoffenheim sensation arrives in 2019.

Highly rated German head coach Nagelsmann – who turned down Real Madrid – will swap Hoffenheim for Bundesliga rivals Leipzig next season.

In the meantime, Ralf Rangnick will combine his role as Leipzig’s director of football with first-team coaching duties in 2018-19.

The Leipzig appointment came after a year of speculation linking Nagelsmann to the likes of Bayern Munich, Arsenal and Chelsea. 

The 31-year-old Nagelsmann took over Hoffenheim in February 2016, and led the club to a fourth-place finish in 2016-17 which saw them make the Champions League qualification stage.

Though elimination to Liverpool followed, Nagelsmann will guide Hoffenheim to the group stages this season in his swan song with the club after a third-place finish in 2017-18.

And the Denmark international Poulsen is excited to work with Nagelsmann when the opportunity arises in the 2019-20 season.

“Of course this is a top transfer. I’ve heard a lot of good from other players about him,” Poulsen said via Bild.

“Julian did a super job in Hoffenheim. I am looking forward to working under him.”

Interestingly, Poulsen was so busy with the World Cup with Denmark, who fell to eventual finalists Croatia on penalties in the round of 16, and his ensuing vacation that he was not aware of Rangnick taking over for this season. 

“The takeover of Ralf Rangnick as a coach with us, I have not noticed,” Poulsen admitted.

“I had my phone off on vacation, did not find out until the return flight a few days ago.”

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

African All Stars Transfer News & Rumours: Essien retires from international football


Essien retires from international football


Former Chelsea midfielder Michael Essien has announced his retirement from international football, after over 12 years of active service with Ghana.

The 35-year-old, who is currently without a club after parting ways with Indonesian outfit Persib Bandung, last featured for the Black Stars in 2014 at the Fifa World Cup in Brazil.

Read his full comments right here on Goal!


AC Milan in talks with Samassekou


AC Milan have started discussions over the signing of RB Salzburg midfielder Diadie Samassekou, Football Italia claims [via RMC Sport].

The Rossoneri are interested in luring the Mali international who has just a year remaining in his contract with the Austrian club to the Italian top-flight.


Olympiacos table £6.2m offer for Zungu


Greek giants Olympiacos are interested signing Amiens midfielder Bongani Zungu, Soccer Laduma reports.

Following an impressive debut season in the French Ligue 1, Zungu’s former boss at Vitoria de Guimareas – Pedro Martins – is ready to lure the South Africa international to his new team with an initial bid worth £6.2m [€7m] submitted.

Torino, Lyon and Monaco are some of the top European clubs that have shown interest in the 25-year-old.


Akpom close to £2m PAOK move


Arsenal forward Chuba Akpom is set to join Greek side PAOK in the coming days after making just 12 first-team appearances for the Gunners, Goal understands.

The 22-year-old has spent several seasons out on loan with his most recent spell at Belgian side Sint-Truiden, where he scored six goals in 16 games last season.

Check out the full story on Goal !


West Ham reject Crystal Palace bid for Kouyate


West Ham have turned down Crystal Palace’s £11 million offer for Cheikhou Kouyate, Football London reports.

The Hammers are demanding £15 million for the Senagal international who still has three years left on his contract.

The arrival of Jack Wilshere in Manuel Pellegrini’s squad has made Kouyate dropped in the pecking order of options in the midfield and he might struggle for game time this season.


Fernando Adi hands Timbers transfer request 


Fernando Adi has requested for a move away from Portland Timbers after being restricted to limited playing time, according to MLS Soccer .

The Nigerian forward has struggled for form under manger Giovanni Savarese and has lost his starting spot to Samuel Armenteros. 

Timbers are reportedly in talks with MLS clubs to offload the 27-year-old designated player before the end of the American transfer window on August 8.


Eric Bailly not for sale


Eric Bailly will not be leaving Manchester United this summer despite Jose Mourinho’s plans to reinforce his defence, according to Manchester Evening News .

The Red Devils have assured the Cote d’Ivoire international that his future is secured at the club as they look to sign Leicester’s Harry Maguire and Tottenham’s Toby Alderweireld before the transfer market closes.

Bailly has played in every of Manchester United’s pre-season games and he is most likely to get the nod for their Premier League opener against Leicester City on August 10.


Zaha cools Crystal Palace exit rumours


After deleting a cryptic Instagram post on Friday, Wilfried Zaha has dismissed rumours linking him with a move away from Crystal Palace.

The Sun reports that the 25-year-old posted on his Instagram story to confirm that his deleted message that reads – ‘Today is the day I make a change with everything’ – has nothing to do with football.


Aboubakar emerges as Sevilla top target


Sevilla have made Cameroon forward Vincent Aboubakar their transfer priority as they look to strengthen their attacking force, Estadio Deportivo reports.

Aboubakar who is still under contract with Porto until 2021, attracted interest from Pablo Machin following an impressive 2017-18 campaign where he scored 24 goals across all competitions.

The La Liga outfit are also targeting Fluminense youngster Pedro Guilherme Abreu to challenge Wissam Ben Yedder and Luis Muriel.


 

West Ham hold talks over Marega move


West Ham United are targeting a deal for £22 million-rated Porto forward Moussa Marega, according to Daily Mail .

The Hammers have opened discussions for the Mali international who scored 23 goals last season in Porto’s successful league campaign.

With Porto reportedly interested in Cheikhou Kouyate, the East London outfit could include the Senegal captain in the deal in order to make the move possible.


Ikeme retires from football


Nigeria and Wolverhampton Wanderers goalkeeper Carl Ikeme has called time on his career as a footballer having been kept out of action for 12 months.

The 32-year-old confirmed his retirement from professional football through a statement from his club on Friday.

Check out the full story on Goal right here !


Umar joins Rizespor on loan


Aminu Umar has been given a chance to continue in the Turkish top-flight next season after reaching a season-long loan deal with newly promoted Caykur Rizespor.

The Nigerian striker scored five goals in 31 league appearances for Osmanlıspor last term but was not enough to save them from relegation.

Check out the full story on Goal right here !


Sabaly expected at Napoli


Bordeaux defender Youssouf Sabaly is expected at Napoli for medical examination on Friday, Mercato365 reports.

The Partenopei are not ready to risk the signing of the Senegal international who has problem with his medial collateral ligament.

If the result turns out positive, club President Aurelio De Laurentiis will then make the decision of either signing the 25-year-old or PSV defender Santiago Arias after ruling out the arrival of both players at the Stadio San Paolo according to Calciomercato .


Essien completes Uefa B coaching license


Chelsea legend Michael Essien is close to becoming a football manager after completing Uefa B coaching license, according to Ghana Soccernet .

The 35-year-old is now eligible to coach in Ghana Premier League but needs a Pro License to qualify for a coaching job in the English Premier League.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

Lewandowski ‘toys with going elsewhere’ but will not be sold, says Bayern boss Kovac

Niko Kovac is adamant Robert Lewandowski will not leave Bayern Munich despite the reported Real Madrid target’s open interest in a new challenge.

Lewandowski’s agent, Pini Zahavi, has previously confirmed his client’s hope to move on from the Allianz Arena and Kovac is aware of the desire.

European champions Madrid have long been linked with the Poland international, who would go some way to easing the goalscoring burden left by Cristiano Ronaldo’s departure to Real Madrid.

Borussia Dortmund CEO Hans-Joachim Watzke added further fuel to the transfer speculation by revealing he would be willing to spend €100 million to bring Lewandowski back to his former club.

Kovac, though, is not prepared to lose his star striker.

“There’s nothing new with Robert, it’s clear that he will not leave this club because we have a top striker and we certainly do not want to relinquish him or give him away,” Kovac told Sky Sport Germany.

“We want to achieve a lot with him. He is a great footballer, who has achieved a lot in the Bundesliga, scored many goals and now in the new season certainly will score many goals.”

Though he acknowledged Lewandowski’s interest in leaving, Kovac described the 29-year-old as a “full professional” that would not attempt to force a move.

“It’s true that Robert toys with going elsewhere. Only [he has] one thing he likes, the other is what we like to do,” the former Eintracht Frankfurt coach said.

“Robert has a contract – I do not know how long – and he will certainly stay as long as possible here.”

Bayern next face off against Manchester United in their final friendly before squaring off against DFB Pokal winners, and Kovac’s former club, Eintracht Frankfurt in the German Super Cup. 

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

Buffon not assured of Paris Saint-Germain starting spot

Gianluigi Buffon may be a decorated great of the game but the veteran goalkeeper insists he is not guaranteed to be Paris Saint-Germain’s first choice.

The 40-year-old ended his long affiliation with Juventus this summer by joining PSG on a one-year contract.

Buffon is one of three well-credentialed options in a strong group of shot-stoppers that includes Alphonse Areola and Kevin Trapp, who were selected for the World Cup by France and Germany respectively.

PSG boss Thomas Tuchel looks to have made his experienced new signing the frontrunner by starting him in International Champions Cup clashes with Bayern Munich and Arsenal.

But with 3-1 and 5-1 defeats in those matches, and the looming return of last season’s incumbent Areola, Buffon is braced for a battle to be number one.

“I haven’t spoken to anybody, but it’s important for me to say one thing: in my 24-year career, nobody has ever told me ‘you will be the main goalkeeper’,” he said at a media conference.

“I believe that one has to train and put himself in the best condition to play when called.

“And once again I am here to do my best when I am called by the coach, but also to help everybody improve. So I have two functions.”

Buffon’s surprise switch to the Ligue 1 champions came in the wake of his decision to end a successful 17-year stay at Juventus.

The World Cup-winning Italy icon says he has no regrets ahead of his first season outside Serie A.

“I feel very well,” he said. “If I have chosen to continue playing and accept such a challenge it’s because I love challenges, I love to do well and I love finishing my job in the best possible way.

“That’s the challenge that I liked the most and the only one that could keep me playing. And I want to win this challenge with everybody’s help. I could never do it alone.”

Let’s block ads! (Why?)